RESOURCES: books, articles, designs, and designers of interest
Principles of Educative Design:
- Outside Lies Learning: Landscape Architecture and Principles of Educative Design (free download) (hard copy $60.00)
Meadow Brook Pond, Seattle, WA
- Civil Rights Memorial, Southern Poverty Law Center, Montgomery, Ala. (Maya Lin)
- Brown, B., Harkness, T. & Johnston eds., 1998. Special Issue: Eco-Revelatory Design: Nature Constructed / Nature Revealed. Landscape Journal, (special issue).
- Echols, S. & Pennypacker, E., 2008. From Stormwater Management to Artful Rainwater Design. Landscape Journal, 27(2), pp.268-290.
- Kaplan, R., Kaplan, S. & Ryan, R., 1998. With People in Mind: Design And Management Of Everyday Nature 1st ed., Island Press.
- Hart, R., 1997. Children’s Participation: The Theory and Practice of Involving Young Citizens in Community Development and Environmental Care, Earthscan Publications Ltd.
- Johnson, J.M., 2000. Design for Learning: Values, Qualities and Processes of Enriching School Landscapes, Washington D.C.: American Society of Landscape Architects.
- Moore, R.C. & Wong, H.H., 1997. Natural Learning: The Life History of an Environmental Schoolyard: Creating Environments for Rediscovering Nature’s Way of Teaching, Berkeley, Calif: MIG Communications.
- Nicholson, S., 1971. The Theory of Loose Parts. Landscape Architecture, 62(1), pp.30-34.
- Titman, W., 1994. Special places special people: the hidden curriculum of school grounds World Wide Fund for Nature.;Learning Through Landscapes Trust., ed., Surrey: WWF UK (World Wide Fund for Nature).
- Falk, J.H. & Dierking, L.D., 2000. Learning from Museums: Visitor Experiences and the Making of Meaning, Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press.
- Gutwill, J., 2008. Fostering active prolonged engagement: the art of creating APE exhibits, San Francisco Calif. ;Oxford: Exploratorium ;Berg [distributor].
- Bell, P. et al. eds., 2009. Learning science in informal environments: people, places, and pursuits, Washington D.C.: National Academies Press.
- Bransford, J., Brown, A.L. & Cocking, R.R. eds., 2000. How people learn: brain, mind, experience, and school Expanded ed., Washington D.C.: National Academy Press.
School Gardens and Playgrounds
- Danks, Sharon Gamson, 2010. Asphalt to Ecosystems: design ideas for schoolyard transformation, Oakland, CA: New Village Press.
- Tai, Lori; Haque, Mary Taylor; McLellan, Gina K; Knight, Erin Jordan, 2006. Designing Outdoor Environments for Children, New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Learning Landscapes Blog (Landartista)
- Teacher Tom's Blog- teaching and learning from preschoolers
- Julie Bargmann (D.I.R.T. Studio)
- University of Washington Department of Landscape Architecture
Our role is flexible as consultant or coordinator depending upon the needs of your PTSA or community group. Contact us with inquiries about how to proceed with your outdoor classroom project!